Monday, October 14, 2013

Healthy Hair- Stretching Natural Hair

So after my pregnancy, I tried a little something new. I started flat ironing (not straight, but to stretch) my hair. I didn't know that this actually had a specific name for it, but after looking it up, I found out on MsAliciaJames website http://easynaturalhair.com/2013/05/29/heat-stretching-my-natural-hair/ that it is called "heat stretching".

The funny thing was our methods are very similar to one another. My hair currently is 7 1/2-8 in long, but when it is in it's shrunken state, I goes to around 2-3 in long. Crazy, right?! On my body, 6 in is shoulder length from my nape so right now I am a little passed that. During my first year of growing out my hair, I wore it in my shrunken state. Now that it is growing, my hair tangles more and simple braid outs and twist outs don't look good on me. So to stop the breakage from that, I started doing heat stretching. Since I am in a protective style challenge on http://www.blackhairinformation.com, I keep my hair braided or twisted (in my stretched state) until it starts itching which is normally at 2-3 weeks and then I wash it and I stretch it again. Here is what my wash day typically looks like when I do this method.

Day 1
Deep Condition (overnight if I put it in late at night or for 45-1hr if I am up)

Day 2
Shampoo
Condition
De-tangle
Leave-In Spray
Braid it up for the night

Day 3
Take down braids
Apply heat protectant
Flat iron

Now as you can tell, I do not blow dry my hair. I simply braid it up and keep it like that for the night. This helps it stay stretched and detangled. Also, this helps me to not put so much heat on my head. Since I have a baby, I can't sit for hours at a time to do my hair so I simply break it down in days if I have to. I used to never do a deep conditioner in the beginning (due to improper techniques and knowledge of my hair), but oh have things have changed! My hair loves deep conditioning.

I figure that we all live and learn some how. I do not flat iron my hair straight. I simply run like 1 or 2 passes over my hair at a 250-300 temperature that way it simply elongates (much like a blow dryer does). The reason why I don't use a blow dryer is because it literally pulled out my hair. I used to watch everyone else's YouTube page and found that what they do won't work for me, but that's okay! :) I just want to let everyone know to do what works best for them. I know some people do not use heat, but others do. I've had so many setbacks following others and now that I am learning for myself, my hair is actually growing and breaking and shedding a TON less.

My best advice is to do what works for you! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment