Monday, October 28, 2013

Healthy Hair: The Black Hair Information challenge is officially over!

For the past 3 months, I have been apart of a hair challenge on blackhairinformation.com and today I am going to write my review on everything. First off, this was my very first hair challenge that I have been apart of. I have tried to challenge myself, but never found luck with it. Surprisingly, I found that my hair did grow in those short times where I wore protective styles. When I saw this post, I immediately thought that it was right up my alley. The whole concept of the challenge was that we all were supposed to keep our hair in any protective style that we liked for 3 weeks and then for the 4th week, we could take it down and wear it out. I loved it because I could change up my look. At the beginning of my challenge, my hair stretched out to shoulder length from the nape. Today, we stretched it out in the same area and guess what? My hair grew 3 1/4 inches! My hair is 3/4 inches away from APL so I am happy about that! :) I finally found a style that I love and if you've guessed the bun, you are absolutely correct!

Recently, I made a post about the Mega Bun that I did to my hair and I absolutely LOVED it! But this time around, instead of heat stretching my hair like I usually do to keep it stretched, I put little box braids in my hair. Of course, it may not look like a pro did my braids, but I worked with what I could (yes, I did my own braids and no, I am not a good braider, but it was free and could be done on my own time). I call this my Protected Protective Style because I can wear my bun and keep those ends protected, but I could also keep my hair protected that was at first out and brushed down onto my head.

Now, before anyone gets confused, I simply braided my hair and then I put them in a mini bun. After doing so, I do my mega bun which takes less than 5 mins to do and then I am done. I can slip on a scarf and headband like usual, but none of my hair is actually out with this style which I love. I want to keep these in until January 2, 2014 so I can see how well I retained my length so this means ANOTHER HAIR CHALLENGE! :) This time, it will be a more personal challenge. I will update every week until the challenge is complete and I will take a photo once it is over. My goal during this time is BSL or close to it. I believe that I can do it!

Since I have these braids in, this cuts my hair regimen down. I love making my regimen as simple as possible. So here it is:

Mondays: shampoo, deep condition, bun (when leaving the house)
Everyday: moisturize, seal
3 Weeks: inversion method
3 Months: re-braid hair

See! It's very simple and I know that I can keep this up. I am excited that this challenge has been such a great success and I believe that if I keep doing this, that my hair will thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment