Thursday, September 5, 2013

Healthy Hair- A/W 13 Hair Regimen

The time has come for us to put away our cute summer clothes and bring in some nice, warm and cozy fall and winter clothes. I also believe that now it is the time to change up my hair regimen. As it continues to grow, I am sitting here asking myself "What are you going to do to your hair now?". Tonight, I did my first henna and although I didn't see much of a change (it is said that you will start noticing a change after a couple of times of applying henna) I liked the results. I can slightly see some color in the light, but then again my natural hair color has some tints of red and brown in it, so what henna will do for me is just keep my hair basically the same color. After washing my hair, I put some leave in conditioner, my oil mixture and I put some of my gel in my hands and I did a wash and fro, wash n go. I am currently letting it dry about 80%, which it is almost there, but after it is dry, I am going to twist it up. I find this easier for me than trying to do protective styles and twists/braid outs on my head. I have learned over the years and especially during this journey of growing my hair out that my hair simply does not like protective styles and twist outs and braid outs do not look good on my head.

The point of the healthy hair journey is to take proper care of your head and if something doesn't work for you at the moment, simply don't do it. I'm not saying to never try the style again, but give it some time and then try it again. Last week when my significant other was oiling my scalp, he stretched my hair (we normally do this every do often to see how long my hair has grown) and it is basically armpit length now! Armpit length! My hair does shrink up so much that it looks like a twa, but I am learning to embrace my shrinkage. I do not want to alter it. I believe it is good because although my hair is getting longer, when I do wash it, it appears shorter and it stays off of my neck.When I do my wash n fro, I am simply fluffing it to show my afro. My goal is to have a nice curly afro or simply curls that hit armpit/mid-back length. That would mean that my hair in it's stretched state would be really long, past my tailbone of course.

So for my autumn/winter regimen, I am going to stick with this wash n fro method. I will wash my hair one time every week and do my henna treatment every month. Also, I will deep condition after every wash and do a hot oil treatment every 2 weeks. Since I am a stay at home/work at home new mother to my first child, I am okay with washing my hair and fro-ing it out. At night until my curls get long enough to pineapple it, I will do 6 big twists going the way my fro will be after it's been at least 80% air dried. I only plan to use heat 1 time a year, which is in December since that is the month I decided to stop rocking my fade that I had been wearing for years and wanting to grow my hair. This year will mark #2 of actually growing out my hair so I am excited to see the length straightened. I keep my regimen simply and my products to a minimum. I believe that keeping everything simple will help me keep retaining length even in the winter months. I am so excited to share this healthy hair journey with everyone and I hope that everyone has a great rest of the summer!

What is your current regimen? Do you change your regimen according to the changing of seasons as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment